The Koryo Hotel Microbrewery is a beer bar open to tourists and a great place to experience North Korea’s little known microbrewery scene.
It is part of the Koryo Hotel complex on Changwang Street in central Pyongyang, just a five minute walk from the Pyongyang Railway Station.
The Koryo Hotel Microbrewery is located in the southern corner of the building (or left side if looking at the front).
It is accessed through a small revolving door from the street.
It is a cosy upmarket bar popular with people that work nearby and those staying at the Koryo Hotel.
The bar itself is modern, and features chairs & tables in the entrance, and booths to the right of the bar.
They have a range of drinks available here including wine, soju, soft drinks, coffee and tea, but the real reason to visit is to try their beers which is brewed onsite.
The Koryo Hotel Microbrewery produces two beers – a yellow beer and a black beer;
- Yellow beer is an ale style beer with 12 degrees plato and an alcohol content of around 4.5%-4.8%
- Black Beer is a very good stout with 15 degrees plato and an alcohol content of around 5%-5.5%
Pay for what you drink/eat here, with a pint of either yellow beer or black beer costing around 2 EUR
- If there isn’t enough space for you in the main bar, you can drink in the restaurant upstairs.
- The toilet is located on the right when you first walk in.
- If you are staying at the Koryo Hotel it is generally ok for you to make the trek from the hotel entrance to entrance of the bar without your guides, though it is good to let your guides know you intend to visit here and do not wander off into Pyongyang in your post drinks state.
- The Koryo Hotel Microbrewery used to be located in the lobby of the Koryo Hotel, but it was relocated to its current when they lobby undertook renovations in 2017
Interested in a tour to North Korea?
Travel to North Korea with the only
North Korea travel experts, Koryo Tours
North Korea Travel Guide PDF | Sign up to the mailing list | About Koryo Tours